Monday, January 31, 2011

From Filling in the "O's" to Being Filled to Overflowing!

My experiences with the Church began even before I was born.  As far back as I can remember, I was taken to church by my parents and given a "living witness" of the love of Jesus Christ through them and others in our church.  As with a lot of children, possibly, (can only relate my own experience), I was somewhat bored with church and preaching and so I would amuse myself and try to sit still by "filling in the O's in the bulletins" each Sunday.


When I was eight years old, I gave my heart to Jesus, with all the faith an eight year old has.  As with many early professions of faith, there comes another time in your life when you actually learn what it means to have a CLOSE relationship with a risen Savior!  To actually walk with Him and talk to Him:) That time for me came when in college.  Won't get into all the details, let's just say I had a bad experience there which left it's scars for years.    I'm sure that all of you know what I'm talking about.  Those kind of scars that hurt deeply, but scab over and you kind of forget them, but the scar is always there to remind you--in my case, what never to do or where never to go again. 
It was during this time that my walk with the Lord became a very real and integral part of my life.  Oh, I've had plenty more scars come along during the years, but with each one, His mercy and grace have always been right there to pick up the pieces and teach me more about His Love!
I could tell you of many times through my life when Jesus has had his hand on me and protected me, even when being unaware. 
Our pastor said something this past Lord's Day that should have us all thinking.  "Are you any closer to your Lord now than you were a year ago?"  Oh, yes.........but it's a daily walk.  Because of the outpouring of His love into my life I strive to be more like Him in my everyday walk.
He has definitely filled me to overflowing, even though I am so undeserving.  When I'm "being still" and thinking of what He did for me........I mean REALLY thinking of what He did......taking my place on the Cross; dying there in my place for my sins; how do you say "thank you" to an act of love so profound?  He went willingly to the Cross.......so that his shed blood applied to my life makes me clean before the Father.  And because he did not stay in the grave, but arose, He is still alive today, and sits at the right hand of God the Father.
As I grow older, I care for "religiosity" less and a closer "relationship" with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords more!
I wish this type of relationship for you today.  Do I still stumble along the way?  YES!  Because I am human.  And in my weaknesses, He is made strong:

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee:  be not dismayed; for I am thy God:  I will strengthen thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."  Isaiah 41: 10

Why not ask Him to be your source of Strength and your Savior today:)

4 comments:

  1. Amen I so agree, and Jesus and the Holy Spirit fill us and give us all we need Love Strength, Peace and serenity. I just finished my book and it's about that we all experience troubles, so it's not the troubles but how we choose to handle them..It was a completely inspired work and I was extremely humbled when it was finished and so grateful for the journey The Holy Spirit led me on. I talk to Jesus and the Holy Spirit so often during the day ...I am so over-joyed that my best friend is my Savior and I will get to live with Him forever...God Bless you and keep you in His loving embrace Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! A personal relationship with God is want all Christians should desire. Sadly, many who profess Christ as there Savior would rather have a religion instead of a relationship with Him :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sensitive, loving, and beautiful post. It's wonderful that you accepted Christ at such an early age... me? not till I was about 40 years old. Could have saved myself a lot of heartache if it had been sooner, but thankfully, God had a plan. Your music is a peaceful addition to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Joy, thank you so much, dear :) Yes, I accepted Christ at an early age, but I was older before I knew what it meant to have a real personal relationship with Him,,,and you know, it's also a daily thing....this "growing in Him".:)

    ReplyDelete